Most of us were taught that there were “good” emotions and “bad” emotions. Some were sanctioned and some were not. And so we walk around thinking that if we feel the “bad” emotions, we are weak or crazy. And so, as we move through life, most of us are chasing happiness but unwilling to feel the discomfort of grief, sadness, loneliness, shame or guilt. But as Brene Brown says, “When we numb the dark, we numb the light.” In order to feel fully alive, we have to give ourselves permission to feel it all.
In order to avoid what is coming up and we are unwilling to feel we start “buffering”.
These are just a few examples of ways we avoid facing our full spectrum of feelings.
5 Ways To Begin To Feel the Rainbow of Emotions
- Increase Our Emotional Vocabulary Once we understand our emotions and we can name them we can implement healthy ways to meet the need attached to that emotion, we can express ourselves, and we can ask for what we actually need. Learning the language of our emotions will give us a sense of power. Increasing our emotional vocabulary and recognizing the full spectrum of emotions is the key to regaining this power!
- Accept Our Emotional Fluidity We aren’t meant to feel a steady stream of emotion all the time. Just like the ocean there is an ebb and flow with our emotions.
- Find A Space Of Neutrality We have to stop thinking emotions are good or bad. Brene Brown says “When we numb the dark, we numb the light.” When we attach morality to our emotions it gets tricky. There is value in every emotion and a gift with every feeling.
- Appreciate The Contrast/Polarity How much sweeter is joy after a long period of grief, or peace after a season of stress? The contrast of light and dark is what gives us an appreciation for times that feel lighter.
- Be Willing to Hold Multiple Emotions at Once You can feel multiple things at once. We might feel competing or contrasting emotions at once. We might wonder how we can feel joy next to sadness. Or anger next to peace. We can.
When we let ourselves be fully human, all of life opens up! The truth is, we feel all day everyday. and once we learn how to name our emotions and create space for them without judgement, we can receive the gift they each individually offer.
ON THIS EPISODE WE WILL DISCUSS…
– The importance of increasing your emotional vocabulary
– How emotions are fluid and always changing
– Experiencing the ebb and flow of emotions
– Why the contrast with emotions makes it all sweeter
– Emotional seasons of life
– The gift of challenging emotions
– Approaching emotions as neutral – not good or bad
– Letting yourself feel many emotions at once
– And more!
In this 8 part series we will be talking about Feeling To Heal in order to Live Fully Alive
Text Me: https://maryhyatt.com/text
Follow Me On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/maryghyatt/
Full List of Episodes & Show Notes: https://maryhyatt.com/show